Sunday, July 05, 2009

Soupy Frosting

I am almost ready to give up on baking in the summer. It is entirely too hot. Cakes don't bake correctly, frosting's don't stay firm as they should, and transportation: forget about it.

I was baking all morning, with no anticipation that anything would go wrong, after all this is my go-to: red velvet w/ cream cheese frosting. The cupcakes baked correctly (maybe slightly more dense than usual) and the frosting whipped up beautifully, it wasn't until I arrived at Gern's for the Fourth Festivities that things started to veer slightly off path!

I let the frosting firm up after the car ride and by the time I went to fill my piping bag, my worst fear had come true. It wasn't firm enough yet. And by not firm enough I really mean it was almost like a thick cake batter consistency. Horrified doesn't quite describe the feeling that had overcome me. The refrigerator I had left the bowl of frosting in was the refrigerator that was being used for most of the other dishes that were being served, so it was being opened and closed and things were being taken out every 2 minutes, so a proper cooling temperature could never be reached.



After I rallied up a few people to help me, we sifted a few things in the freezer and my frosting was saved! Well, almost! After I remembered that this was a family affair and they understood the dramatic weather conditions were conspiring against me; I relaxed a bit! Even though the cupcakes were very well received and raved about, I was still disappointed with the presentation. You win some, you lose some... All things considered this was a success!

You cant really go wrong with food, fun, friends and family... even if you have soupy frosting!

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

soupy is ok... it's that sweet sweet taste that counts! and by the looks of things... they had that!
At July 7, 2009 at 1:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't give up... even in the heat people need their sweets! love from 7th street!
At July 7, 2009 at 1:33 AM

 
Anonymous Christi Estep said...

I wouldn't know....I didn't eat any! :(
At July 15, 2009 at 2:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<--- Back to Belly's Bake Shop